The Grogan's Mill Village Association (GMVA) invites you to the Farmer's Market in The Woodlands, in the Grogan's Mill Center, which is open year-round!
Occasionally, the Grogan's Mill Farmer's Market likes to share recipes using ingredients from the market. Please enjoy.
Kohlrabi Ham Bake Recipe
3 Tbsp butter
4 kohlrabi, peeled and diced
8 ounces thick ham, diced
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
3 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Pinch of mace (can substitute ground nutmeg)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 350�F. In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the diced kohlrabi and gently cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
2 Beat the egg yolk, and whisk in the heavy cream, flour, mace, salt and pepper until well combined.
3 Place half of the cooked kohlrabi on the bottom of an oven-proof casserole dish. Layer on the diced ham and parsley. Top with the remaining kohlrabi. Pour the sauce ingredients over the kohlrabi and ham.
4 Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Serve immediately. Serves 4.
DRESSING 1/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon good mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt & pepper to taste - go easy here
Fresh mint, chopped
1 pound fresh kohlrabi, trimmed, peeled, grated
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, grated or cut into batons (try to keep equivalent volumes of kohlrabi:apple)
Whisk cream into light pillows - this takes a minute or so, no need to get out a mixer. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients, the kohlrabi and apple. Serve immediately.
TIPS: Once grated, the apple begins to brown instantly so move it straight into the dressing and toss right away.
Nappa Cabbage Salad
1 head napa cabbage
1 bunch minced green onions
1/3 cup butter
1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, broken
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1. Finely shred the head of cabbage; do not chop. Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a pot. Mix the ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds into the pot with the melted butter. Spoon the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake the crunchies in the preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, turning often to make sure they do not burn. When they are browned remove them from the oven.
4. Make the dressing: In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
Combine dressing, crunchies, and cabbage immediately before serving. Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.
Cut the swiss chard leaf in half by devaining it. Add peanut butter onto the leaf (as you would to bread). Add apple and ginger slices. Top off with a drizzle of honey. Roll like a burrito. (You might want to have a paper napkin around because it can be messy eating, but it's delicious!). If your kids do not appreciate the ginger, just offer it to them without it. Enjoy!
Sweet and Savory Swiss Chard Wrap
1tsp of vegetable oil
onions fresh chopped (1 oz)
green bell pepper chopped (1/2 oz)
1/3 tsp of chili powder
1/3 tsp of cumin, lightly toasted
1/6 tsp of garlic powder
1/3 tsp of red hot sauce
1/2 tsp of brown sugar packed canned tomatoes crushed (1 oz)
canned kidney beans (1.3 oz)
bulgur no.3 (2 oz)
water ( 1/2 oz)
yogurt plain low fat (2 1/2 oz)
1/2 tsp of fresh oregano
12 leaves of swiss chard
1. Heat oil in heavy stock pot
2. Add chopped onions and green peppers, saute 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
3. Add chili powser, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, red hot sauce to the sauteed vegetables.
4. Add brown sugar and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
5. Add kidney beans, bulgur wheat and water and simmer 15 minutes longer.
6. Add yogurt and blend well.
7.Clean and devein Swiss chard leaves. Steam them for 2 minutes, cool down in ice water bath.
8. lay out Swiss chard leaf over lapping both sides of leaf without the vein.
9. Fill leaf with 4 oz of chili in the lower third of leaf.
10 add fresh chopped oregano.
11. Roll from bottom updwards. Fold over sides and continue to roll until wrap is completely enclosed.